Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Let's Learn How to Pronounce Goethe


St. Wolfgang and the devil - Michael Pacher

This is legitimately the creepiest portrayal of the devil I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot in LitHum. We've looked at Gustave Doré's drawing of Lucifer for Dante's Inferno, and many different illustrations from when we were reading Job and John.

But none compare to this guy, at least for me. I mean, he has a face on his butt! There are flames flowing out of his ears, his body is green and scaly, and his limbs are sickeningly thin, so he looks like he could topple over at any minute. What makes him so scary, though is the look of fear on his face as he looks at Wolfgang. His downturned lips make him look almsot sad too. Why?

This guy, Wolfgang, was the Bishop of Regensburg in the late 10th century. He was a pretty important guy since he taught the Holy Roman emperor and did a lot of missionary work.

I couldn't find much online about the painting above, but in class, the person who presented this work said that St. Wolfgang was known for hiring the devil to help him build his Church. What?! Why would you get the devil to help you? I guess it could show that Wolfgang was so powerfully with God that he was able to command the devil. 

So how does this relate to LitHum, you ask? 

I haven't read all of Goethe's Faust yet, but it is a story in which Faust, a scientific genius, signs a deal with Mephistopheles, the devil, who agrees to give him power in exchange for spending eternity in Hell. Although I haven't read the ending yet, I am sure that Faust will probably end up suffering for choosing to sign his soul over to the devil.

So the painting of Wolfgang is quite the opposite of Faust. Whereas the devil quietly manipulates Faust, giving him what he desires, in this painting, Wolfgang has the upper hand. Could that be why this creepy, green, deer-like devil looks so sad?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.